Thursday, November 1, 2012

We're off to see The Wiz

This past weekend my school brought to the stage the Fall production of The Wiz. After hearing for months about all of the hard work that went into the show, I was very excited on Sunday when I had the chance to see it for myself. Sitting out The Wiz was a difficult decision for me but I certainly learned a lot from watching this amazing and talented cast and crew!

First of all, I was excited to see several people perform who were cast in roles that aren't usual for them and caused them to take on new responsibilities. As a sophomore, I remember being cast as Sir Toby Belch in Twelfth Night and not knowing how I was going to fill the position required of me. At the start of The Wiz production, a couple of the lead characters were feeling a similar way. I realize now, though, that this emotion can spur a performer on to create and take risks that they would never even think of if they found themselves in their usual typecast roles. As I learn more about the role of a director, I think that giving actors opportunities to step out of their comfort zones is one of the greatest gifts they have to offer.

I was so happy to see that each of The Wiz cast members truly grew into their new responsibilities and achieved the huge task of putting together a musical!

And now for the details of the production. The Wiz, a show which hit the stage in 1974, is the more soulful and gritty version of the classic Wizard of Oz. To bring this to light, the cinder block walls and wood floors which make up the bare structure of the theatre were exposed, and  the back wall of the stage was covered in graffiti while the floor was painted with a faded yellow brick road. The set pieces consisted of four large platforms, all on wheels, which were moved throughout the show into different formations for different scenes. When I heard about the way in which the set would be used, I have to admit I was skeptical that it could be pulled off flawlessly, but the technical support proved me wrong, and watching these giant set pieces transform the stage was a highlight of the show for me. When the curtain rose at the start of the show, I was surprised at how having the four platforms close to the front of the stage created an apartment-like image, perfect for the more urban feeling that the show requires. The set was absolutely one of my favorite parts of The Wiz.

Well, I have many more aspects of The Wiz to reflect on so it looks like the rest might have to come out in a series of blog posts...stay tuned!

~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment