Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Secret to Success

Last week I put this album in my theatre journal because I thought, well this music has some really great lyrics and means a lot to me, and that's about all of the thinking I did. Season's End, by the English rock band, Marillion, is probably my favorite album of all time, packed full of amazing lyrics on top of stunning guitar work and vocal talent. But this past week, while listening to the opening song, The King of Sunset Town, I realized what makes the words so meaningful...research.

Each song contains details of events and cultures that allow the artist to identify with very narrow audiences while inviting those who might not understand to learn something new about the world. The stories are historical or personal, but always have a universal meaning that is not specific to the time or age.

In creating my own stories and characters, I have discovered that research is going to give everything I do meaning beyond my experiences. Yes, creativity makes writing and performing very personal, but research is what makes art universal.

~Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment